- Xiao Bai Cai (Baby bok choy, 小白菜)
- Shallots (small onions, red or purple ones)
- Oyster Sauce, Sugar
- Sliced shallots thinly. Wash the vegetables. Cut the ends of the Xiao Bai Cai and then cut them to approximately 3 sections lengthwise.
- Prepare Oyster sauce mixture: 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce, 1 tbsp hot water, 1/2 tsp sugar. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil a large pot of water with 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil added. When the water is boiling, add Xiao Bai Cai and blanch for approximately 10 seconds. They may not look like they are cooked to you by sight, so do not overcook the vegetables.
- Heat oil to medium. Add the sliced shallots until it turned golden brown. (Or 2 spoons of Crispy Fried Shallots Oil).
- Pour the fried shallots (and shallot oil) and oyster mixture over the greens.
Tip: You can use other greens such as baby kailan. It will take a slightly longer time to blanch them. Add 1 tsp of sugar to the boiling water since kailan is slightly bitter.