INGREDIENTS (3 hours, Serves 2)
Prepare beef marinade (flour mixture)
- 2 tsp corn flour
- black pepper
- 300g-400g of Beef Cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 fresh tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup of red wine/stout
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 5 bay leaves
Prepare the beef for the stew (0.5 hours):
- Pour corn flour, salt and black pepper in a large ziplock bag and mix well.
- Coat all your beef cubes in the ziplock bag with the flour mixture (beef marinade).
- Heat some olive oil in a pot with medium high heat and sear your beef cubes, until all sides are nicely brown. It takes about 3 to 5 mins per side!
Cook the beef stew (2 hours):
- Once all beef cubes are brown, add red wine / stout to the pot and let it bubble.
- Then add the beef broth, water, tomato paste and worcestershire sauce. Bring the stew up to a boil with high heat.
- Once the liquid boils and bubbles, add in the thyme and bay leaves and let the pot simmer in low heat for 1 hour.
- After an hour, add in all the diced veggies and let the stew simmer for another hour.
- When an hour is up, test the softness of your meat and veggies with a fork. Test taste and add salt / water / black pepper to taste, depending on your preference.
p.s. If you prefer a thicker stew, mix 2 tsp of corn flour with several tablespoons of water and stir well before adding it into the pot. Let the stew simmer for another 5 mins and serve hot.