INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
- 1.5 cups rice, washed and drained
- Chicken stock
- 2 Chicken thighs
- 2 Chinese/Shitake mushrooms,
- 1 Chinese sausage, sliced
- Salted Fish
- Xiao Bok Choy
- Spring Onions
- Garlic Oil
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp of ginger juice (grate a knob of ginger and squeeze)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tbsp corn flour
- (1-2 hours, or overnight before cooking) Prepare marination sauce as above
- Cut 1 chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces for this dish, and leave the other to bake in oven. Cut mushroom into thick slices. If Chinese mushroom, soak before cutting. Slice chinese sausage (腊肠, “la chang”, “lap cheong”).
- Marinate 2 pieces of chicken & mushroom with the marinade for at least 1 hour. Leave it in the fridge.
- Wash 1.5 cups of rice and place it into pot, with slightly less than 1.5 cups water, sprinkle chicken stock into the water. Close the lid and bring to boil over medium heat. Once it boils, lower the fire and cook till the stock is absorbed into the rice but still wet.
- Spread the marinated chicken, mushrooms and sliced sausage on top of the rice,
- Place the chicken, mushrooms and sliced sausage, (salted fish, optional) over the rice. Pour in the remaining marinade all over the ingredients and towards the side of the pot. Close the lid and cook with low heat, until rice and chicken are cooked, which will take about 15 minutes. (Optional: Add in the Xiao Bok Choy after about 10 minutes)
- Flake the rice, cover lid and cook for another 5minutes. Remove from heat.
- Optional: Sprinkle chopped spring onions, add some garlic oil.
- Mix the pot and eat!